5 Reasons to Add a Process Monitoring Package to Your Machine
When it comes to purchasing a new machine, the many options available can be confusing and overwhelming. To combat this, Orbitform works directly with manufacturers to find the best solution to fit their assembly needs. From specific cycle times to operator loading and specific functional requirements, we work with customers to find the best options that make sense for the application.
Orbitform’s Process Monitoring package can help in many types of applications. The package includes a load cell for feedback on force applied while forming, and a LVDT or linear variable differential transformer, which gives feedback on the distance the peen tool traveled to form a rivet. Once added to a machine, this package is programmed to meet the specific requirements of each unique assembly.
Reasons for adding a Process Monitoring package to your machine can include:
- Quality assurance. This package will help show consistency across the travel of the powerhead and force used and provide trend over time feedback.
- Eliminate a check station. When integrated into an automated system, at times it is customary to add pre- and post-form stations to check the part to ensure consistency and quality. By adding the Process Monitoring package, one or both pre- and post-form checks may be eliminated.
- Pre-Form Quality Checks. When combined with additional accessories, the package can complete sophisticated quality checks prior to forming. With the feedback data received, this package can determine whether good parts are loaded correctly and prevent the machine from forming incorrect assemblies, thus reducing scrap rates.
- Data Traceability. When added with the data logging package, the Process Monitoring package can capture forming data and serialize the assemblies for future traceability.
- Identify Tooling Wear. Changes in the forming force and distance over time can show tooling wear. If the forming force increases or the distance traveled becomes greater over time, this can be a good indication that tooling has worn and needs to be replaced.
There are many benefits to adding the Process Monitoring package to your next machine. The fastening, forming and assembly experts at Orbitform strive to partner with manufacturers to find which options best suit the requirements of each unique assembly. To find what machine and options will suit your manufacturing needs best, contact us today.